“I think a lot of times people have ideas and they never begin it. They just think about it. They talk about it – but they don’t DO. I mean little kids don’t learn how to walk by reading books about it and – watching other people walk – they just get up and they do it. And they fall and they get up and they walk. And they fall and they get up and they walk. And with growth – that’s often how it goes….”
Owner of Kyra’s Bake Shop, Gluten-Free Pastry Chef, Author
Current location: Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
Education: Patisserie & Baking, Le Cordon Bleu College of Culinary Arts / Applied Psychology, M.S. / Political Science, Economics, B.A.
Corporate: Desktop Publisher
Creative: Pastry Chef
Post college, Kyra ended up at a temporary cubicle job, not knowing what she wanted to do with her life.
9 years later . . . she found herself at the same job – uninspired and unhappy.
All she knew was that she had a love for food and party planning. One day she made an impulsive decision to just quit her job. She knew the worst case scenario if things didn’t work out, was that she and her husband would have to sell their home and move back in with her parents. But she made the leap anyway.
That was Kyra’s story before she became a pastry chef, the first four-time winner of The Food Network’s “Cupcake Wars,” the owner of a thriving bakery with lines out the door, and an author.
In this episode, Kyra talks about
* How Steve Jobs convinced her to quit her job
* Her deadly battle with Crohn’s disease
* How she won Cupcake Wars four times
* How her business started with a 750 sq. ft bakery with no employees and exploded to a 3,500 sq ft bakery with 35 employees (and lines out the door!)
* How she published her first book
* How she tricked security into letting her meet Doctor Oz (all so he can try her cupcakes!)
* Her thoughts on work-life balance, dropping friends who bring you down, and much more!
Favorite quote on success
“Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now”
Connect with Kyra here:
Exclusive Content for Subscribers:
YES, I WANT ACCESS TO EXCLUSIVE CONTENT!